Friday, September 16, 2005

Lisanne & Moi

Oh Lisanne my buddy. Where would I be today if I didn't have you around? For those of you who don't know Lisanne and I we're as close as two friends can get. You know when you get all sappy and say "Oh she's like my sister", "She's my best friend and no one else understands me", "She always knows just what to say to make me feel better". Well, that is exactly what Lisanne is to me.

Lisanne and I go way back. Grade 7 I believe. And I remember watching her run on the cross-country team and long distance competitions. Then, one day she convinced me to join the track team. "You don't have to run....you can throw" is what she said to me because I was concerned about my weight. I really did NOT want to join but Lisanne encouraged me and told me I had nothing to worry about. So, there we were in our try-outs and guess what...I had made it. Well I think everyone made it as long as they showed up and put in an effort. But, after my first competition I had won 3rd place in Discus and did not-so-bad in Shot-Put. And, as the competitions went on we became closer.



Now let's rewind back a little to when Lisanne was a baby. She was born with a heart condition and needed open heart surgery at the age of 9 days old. Now even with this major surgery she was able to learn to walk at 9 months old....7 months before I was brave enough to take my first steps...and we're only 2 weeks apart. If you don't think that is someone determined and strong willed from the beginning you need to look these words up!

Lisanne's life is all pretty interesting and is always changing with new nephews & a now a new niece on the way. She has a house with her very long term boyfriend Jess and 2 dogs who are like kids to them. Now lets forward on to today. Lisanne's heart problem has now come back. Yep, she's sick and just found out she will be having her surgery sometime this year. As anyone would be, she's scared but she's hanging in there and doing WAY more than she should. She wears herself out but she has never let her heart get the best of her. She's a smart girl and knows her limits. Although she likes to test those limits! Right Bella??? The one good thing is I get to see Lisanne more often because she has to come to Ottawa for her doctors appointments. That is our "time" and we plan whatever we think we have time to do. From shopping, walking in the market, going to IKEA, visiting friends/family and then we squeeze her yearly appointment.

Lisanne is the best person to call if ever you need advice on anything! She's the do-it-yourselfer, a chef, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a mom to the pups, a girlfriend to Jess and a comedian. But the comedian part is something she doesn't try to be; it just happens. My favorite memory is of Lisanne and I painting her house when they first bought it. We had to re-caulk all the windows. So, the two of us march on over to Canadian Tire and start looking for caulking. Well, Lisanne is about a half isle ahead of me and yells out "Caroline, EASY CAULK THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT NEED!". And then I began to burst into tears laughing. Only then did she catch on to what she said. I literally had to go 3 - 4 rows away from her to stop laughing only to see her and begin all over again. It will be something I may have to bring up in a speech if ever her and Jess get married!



So, now you know the person I'm closest to and would be lost if anything ever happened to her. She is my little buddy who keeps me laughing, is proud of me when I do things, gives me the best advise, tells me when I need to try something different, is a shoulder to cry on (although she says I never cry), and makes sure I never give up on the things I want and the things I believe in. She is there to cheer me on even though she may think I'm wasting my time or just might not work out. If it's something I want to do, she's there for me and encourages me as much as I need it.

Lisanne, thank you for being you. For being, like a sister to me and for being there when I need you. You are beautiful, hilarious, fun, brave, thoughtful, caring, understanding, outgoing, and always know just what to say. Don't ever stop being strong, determined, or stubborn...those 3 things alone will make you recover quicker than anyone would ever imagine. Keep your chin up and things will work out...I promise. I hope that what ever you want for you and Jess comes to the both of you, you deserve nothing but the best.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can tell you two are very close. That story about the easy "caulk" was sooo funny! Reminds me of me and my childhood friend, Bradie! Keep those friends forever!

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home