Monday, November 07, 2005

*Sigh* Funeral.....

First of all, I don't deal well with them. I don't cry much. but when it comes to death, I cry a lot. I start and I can't stop. So I hold it in as much as I can until the day of the funeral. Then you can cry as much as you want, and well, everyone else is doing the same. Although, at my grandfathers funeral 3 years ago, my cousins all wanted to sit next to me because apparently I was crying so much that they didn't look as bad!

The reason I'm talking about funerals? I have one to go to tomorrow. My grandma (or as I called her Memere) passed away on Saturday. It all started last Christmas when she had her heart attack. Then, in July she had by-pass surgery to clean out the old arteries. Then, three weeks ago she had a stroke. It was mild and she was pretty much back to her usual self. Friday she had a heart attack. Her blood sugar was extremely high and they couldn't get it back down. She had a bad infection and the doctors couldn't figure out where it was coming from. She became VERY agitated (which I have never seen), and riped out the IV's. They had to tie her down and then sedate her before she hurt herself. And then she ended up in a coma and never woke up. I think that is the best way to go. Go to sleep and never wake up.

Today will be hard. It's the whole funeral home thing. I dont like those either, but it's something that must be done. I can't imagine not going to it. It's a final goodbye, support from loved ones and friends, and most of all it's time to mourn. On the flip side, I get to see all my family again. My Dad's family is HUGE. They are 10 kids, there's 23 Grandchildren and 26 Great-grandchildren. And that is not including spouses! So, needless to say I'll be getting my fair share of hugs this week. I'm going to try and get a family picture too!

Now let's talk about the weather in Timmins right now. If you've seen Raina's blog, that was taken before it snowed another huge amount of the white stuff. My Dad and I cleared the driveway this morning and our neighbour who's a bus driver said the school buses were canceled. Can you believe that?! And they don't cancel school buses for nothing. It's because it's bad. The only time they were cancelled when I was in school was because you couldn't open the door to get outside and the roads are so bad that even if you put the brakes on you don't stop. I'm not kidding. Last night I was driving home with my Dad from supper and he said "Okay fouine...slow down". I said "yep...I am....trying". And then he said "well put you're foot on the brake you goof" and my response was "well it is on the break....we're slidding Dad! I'm trying!". haha Oh yeah. Thats how it went and we laughed over it. I slid for about 4 houses worth and managed to turn the wheel and stop in the driveway. That my friends is my winter driving skills I got from being taught to drive on snow. There's no pavement here in the winter and needless to say no "lines" on the roads to let you know where you should be. Unlike Raina, I like driving in the snow. Makes it more interesting and it definitely keeps you awake and aware of whats going on. Woohoo!!

I'm hoping to get some quality time with Raina & Lisanne this week. Raina and I haven't talked much since the wedding other than online and Lisanne is finally going in for her surgery. That's right. My little buddy is going for her open heart surgery on November 21st. She's having a valve replaced and hopefully after this she can be back to normal. The last few years have been really tough on her and it's finally catching up. She's drained all the time, short of breath, tired, etc. So it's time. The good part is her surgery is in ottawa. AND I won't be driving the 8 long hours back by myself. Lisanne has consultations and tests the week before so she's coming back with me! Yay. This sort of all worked out perfectly.

Anyways, I need to go take a shower and try to look presentable for my bawl-fest this afternoon. Maybe Vince Vaughn, Will Farrel and Owen Wilson will make an appearance. That's what they did in Wedding Crashers! Have a good one and maybe Raina and I can get together this week and take some pics. *wink wink nudge nudge*

5 Comments:

Blogger Raina* said...

Bwahahaha, ok I can take a hint...but as if I'd need a hint ...you're my effing Quackaline!! Tons of Raina, Caroline and Lisanne time this week....I owe Lisanne a daquirie so giddy up!!

We'll do pictures, we'll do girl time, we'll talk stuuupid and laugh lots.

I'm terribly saddened by your loss, your Memere was a sweetie. But now she can spend the rest of her days with your Pepere.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, hope the next few days aren't too difficult.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

I'm so sorry about your grandmother. Nothing like a funeral to bring out the floodworks. I had to attend a funeral last week for a 6 month old who passed away from SIDS. Definitely the hardest funeral ever. I hope yours is beautiful, and your grandmother's life is celebrated.

We love Raina Marie!!!

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caroline,
Hang in there, wish I could be there for you, but I know your friends and family back home will do a great job.

*hugs*
Love Chrissy

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Caroline, I am sorry to hear about your grandma:( I am glad it happened in her sleep too, much more peaceful that way. Be as sad and cry as much as you need to, girl! I'll be thinking of you.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home